Children’s Services - Volunteer
Purpose of Position
The unsupervised transporting of children and young people to and from planned activities, groups and appointments.
Although based in Withywood, the Barnardo’s Supporting Families Service works with families across the whole of South Bristol. Often, the families we work with do not have transport of their own and find public transport too expensive. This means that the children are unable to attend groups and activities that we hold in our building, are unable to attend medical appointments or are confined to South Bristol in the school holidays.
Having a volunteer driver would mean that we can offer support more children as we will be able to provide a way of getting them to our building. We can also support the families to attend appointments if they have no other way of getting there.
- Collect children and young people (aged 5 to 17) and parents from a designated point (e.g. home, school) and transport them unsupervised to another designated point (e.g. Barnardo’s office or other appointment).
- Be aware of and put into practice all current health and safety knowledge, to ensure children are kept safe whilst being transported.
Period of opportunity
Attitude/Skills/ Knowledge required
- Friendly and approachable manner.
- Confident in driving around South Bristol and knowing the local area.
- Confident in talking to children and young people, and vulnerable adults.
- Able to maintain professional boundaries with families.
- Reliable, both in punctuality when collecting children, but also in informing Barnardo’s staff of any safety or safeguarding concerns.
Training, support or other benefits available to the volunteer
- Volunteer Induction Training will be provided.
- Safeguarding training will be provided.
- Regular supervision will be given to volunteer drivers.
- A Satnav will be provided, on loan, for journeys if needed.
- Opportunities to attend other training offered by Barnardo’s.
- Access to Barnardo’s internal vacancies list.
Genuine Occupational Qualifications & disclosures
DBS Check Required - Enhanced and Children’s Barred list – Child Workforce