Children’s Services - Volunteer
Purpose of Position
To support staff to run groups for children and young people, after school and in the school holidays.
This would involve:-
- helping to prepare the resources needed for the group, transporting children to and from the group.
- supporting staff to manage a group of up to 8 young people aged between approximately 8 and 15.
- examples of group topics could be confidence building, encouraging social skills, children who have witnessed domestic abuse, and helping children manage their feelings. Volunteers would be asked to support Barnardo’s staff with the groups.
we are also looking for volunteers with any specific skills who may want to support children and young people to learn these skills, in groups.
- Supporting staff to plan and prepare for the group (e.g. buying resources, preparing materials), as well as evaluate and tidy up afterwards.
- Work closely with children around the main focus of the group (see above).
Contributing to making the environment safe and comfortable for children to express themselves.
Period of opportunity
Evenings from 3:30pm to 6:00pm. Commitment to six consecutive weeks is required.
In school holidays, 9:00pm – 5:00pm, depending on what activities we run. Usually once a week.
Attitude/Skills/ Knowledge required
- A knowledge and understanding of some of the issues facing vulnerable children and families today.
- Experience of and confidence in talking and interacting with children.
- Friendly and approachable manner. Good communication skills.
- Able to maintain professional boundaries, to keep yourself and the children safe.
- Able to follow Barnardo’s safeguarding procedures.
Training, support or other benefits available to the volunteer
- Volunteer Induction Training will be provided.
- Supervision and Support.
- Safeguarding training will be provided.
- Access to Barnardo’s internal vacancies list.
- Opportunities to attend other training provided by Barnardo’s.
- Volunteer’s expenses can be offered.
Genuine Occupational Qualifications & disclosures
DBS Check Required - Enhanced and Children’s Barred list – Child Workforce