Children’s Services - Volunteer
Purpose of Position
To work alongside Barnardo’s Project Worker, assigned to a particular family.
Role could include:
- Offering advice and signposting to parents around a variety of subject.
- Helping parents/children/young people to access services and support in the local area.
- Providing practical advice to parents to enhance parenting skills.
- Mentoring work with children and young people, where appropriate.
The aim of the work overall is to support families who have difficulties, so that family life improves.
Examples could include:
Mentoring work: Visiting young people in their homes, going out in the community with young people, finding out their interests, doing activities that the young person enjoys, keeping the project worker informed of any concerns about the young person.
Parenting work: Working with parents to embed parenting skills in their family’s life and support them to work towards and end goal, alongside the Project Worker.
Family support: travelling with parents to or meet parents at appointments to encourage them to attend, researching resources in the local community.
Due to the importance of building up a relationship with a family, we are looking for someone who can commit to at least 1.5 hours every two weeks for a minimum of 6 months.
Period of opportunity
Attitude/Skills/ Knowledge required
- Ability to work with young people and their families, in a warm, caring and non-judgemental way.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team an as directed by project workers.
- A full clean driving licence and own transport would be an advantage.
Training, support or other benefits available to the volunteer
- Volunteer induction training package
- Safeguarding training
- Supervision and ongoing support
- Access to Barnardo’s internal training and vacancy listings
Genuine Occupational Qualifications & disclosures
DBS Check Required - Enhanced and Children’s Barred list – Child Workforce