BRUNEL'S SS GREAT BRITAIN NEEDS YOU!
Volunteers play an important part in all that we do – from explaining how we care for the precious items in our collections to guiding people around the ship and even playing the piano!
Your time is precious. So when you spend it helping us we promise you will be making a difference.
Volunteering at the ss Great Britain provides a variety of fun and interesting experiences and every time you volunteer you are sure to learn something new. There are many reasons why people join our crew, including:
- Having the chance to learn about the fascinating history of the ship and the work of Isambard Kingdom Brunel
- Having the chance to learn about Victorian and maritime history
- To help secure the future of the ss Great Britain
- A full training and social programme with frequent events and activities
- Behind the scenes access to the collections and the ship
- The chance to make new friends and to be a part of a great team
- To gain valuable work experience
WHAT COULD YOU DO?
We have a variety of roles to suit different interests, experiences, availability and skills. Our current opportunities include:
Costumed Interpretation Volunteer - bring the story of the ss Great Britain's crew and passengers to life whilst engaging with members of the public.
Visitor Services Volunteer - welcoming and assisting visitors to ensure they get the most out of their visit, and have a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
Library Volunteer - being the public face of the library, and assisting with tours and demonstrations.
Education Assistant Volunteer - assisting the Education Team with the running of various workshops.
Watch this space - the opening of our new museum in 2017 will create new roles and opportunities. More information on how you can get involved is coming soon.